Saturday, September 27, 2008

RIP Paul Newman






Screen Legend Paul Newman Dies at 83 of Cancer


NEW HAVEN, Conn. —

Paul Newman, the Academy-Award winning superstar who personified cool as an activist, race car driver, popcorn impresario and the anti-hero of such films as "Hud," "Cool Hand Luke" and "The Color of Money," has died. He was 83.
Newman died Friday after a long battle with cancer at his farmhouse near Westport, publicist Jeff Sanderson said. He was surrounded by his family and close friends.

In May, Newman he had dropped plans to direct a fall production of "Of Mice and Men," citing unspecified health issues.

In August, he finished chemotherapy and told his family he wanted to die at home. He was given only weeks to live.


He got his start in theater and on television during the 1950s, and went on to become one of the world's most enduring and popular film stars, a legend held in awe by his peers.

He was nominated for Oscars 10 times, winning one regular award for "The Color of Money" and two honorary ones, and had major roles in more than 50 motion pictures, including "Exodus," "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "The Verdict," "The Sting" and "Absence of Malice."

Newman worked with some of the greatest directors of the past half century, from Alfred Hitchcock and John Huston to Robert Altman, Martin Scorsese and the Coen brothers. His co-stars included Elizabeth Taylor, Lauren Bacall, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks and, most famously, Robert Redford, his sidekick in "Butch Cassidy" and "The Sting."

He sometimes teamed with his wife and fellow Oscar winner, Joanne Woodward, with whom he had one of Hollywood's rare long-term marriages.

"I have steak at home, why go out for hamburger?" Newman told Playboy magazine when asked if he was tempted to stray. They wed in 1958, around the same time they both appeared in "The Long Hot Summer," and Newman directed her in several films, including "Rachel, Rachel" and "The Glass Menagerie."

6 comments:

Clueless said...

By reading this post is how I found out that Paul Newman passed away. I am so sad. He is such a legend and fabulous actor. I actually saw him in person at the race track and he is even more stunning in person. It is another sign of an end of an era that will never be duplicated or even come close again. I am saddened. I hope this does not trigger stuff for you and that you take care of yourself.

susan said...

Hi Clueless,
No I am fine. I just love the real old movies, and feel sad when a screen legend passes. I take comfort in all the wonderful movies they made and I can watch.

Thank you!

Synchronicity said...

I was very sad to hear this too. I loved him in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid...this is the first movie I remember seeing him in. My belly dance teacher loved him...she would always tell us to think of someone sexy to dance to...and for her it was paul newman. Sorry I have not been here in awhile...I have lots of catching up to do.

Anonymous said...

When I grow up, I want to be like Paul Newman.

Ana said...

This is sad.

kw said...

Not only was he a vision of beauty externally, Newman was stunning on the inside as well.

He fought for gay and lesbian rights, as well as funding many other worthy causes. We've lost a calm voice of reason.

(BTW, I sent you an e-mail. I'm guessing that you didn't get it. Here's my address:
danomacnamarrah@yahoo.com)

Related Posts with Thumbnails