Saturday, December 6, 2008

NJ's Greatest Poet


I have been trying for over half an hour to cut and paste this, but my computer is dying ,and for some reason will not lt me cut an paste to Blogger. I feel anxious, I was not planning on buying a new mac until next year, when money will be better.

This is the video- NJ's greatest Poet - and musician. Forget Whitman, Forget Joyce Kilmer, Forget Williams. Even (as much as I adore him) forget Ginzberg. (Do they even read "Howl" anymore?) My grandparents and parents had Sinatra.
We had the Boss.


.This video was made when I was in 10th grade, 2 years before "The River" came out and converted me to a Bruce fan. What is really amazing is this- the lyrics for the song- are after the second stanza, totally different then what appears on "The River", album. The music melody is the same. It's a good video- you can see Clarence Clemons and Stevie Van Zandt, and the Boss looking the way he looked in my teens an I had a crush on. To this day, if I was on a desert island and could only pick 5 songs to have with me, this would be on of the five.

I am indebted to Bob Fiddaman, for posting some Bruce clips on his blog yesterday for this. Lucky guy got to see him perform. Alas, I cannot say that. I have seen Clarence perform at the Stone Pony, but solo. I did see Bruce once on a vacation trip in LA, he and his wife were at the same Pizza restaurant I was eating it.
I almost choked on my pizza, I was so excited to see him.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love "The Bruce" as I like to call him... he was an important part of my teenage years - when, in said teenage years I lusted after older, arty, music playing men... sigh!

Anonymous said...

I love "The Bruce" as I like to call him... he was an important part of my teenage years - when, in said teenage years I lusted after older, arty, music playing men... sigh!

Ana said...

Hi Susan!
Have a nice Sunday!

Mark p.s.2 said...

Susan, reading of your complant, you don't need a new computer, you need some who knows more(about computers) to teach you how to do what you want.

I do not think the computer is malfunctioning. You are lacking information or knowledge.
Have patience.

susan said...

@Svasti, Yeah, all my crushes were on older men too. Davy Jones, David and Sean Cassidy, Paul McCartney-
I switched to poets in college. Maybe I should have stayed with musicians!

@Ana! You have a nice Sunday too.

@Mark- can you visit and show me how to do this? I can ask my sis next week, she is a programmer.

Anonymous said...

Another arrangement of PB with slightly different lyrics circa 79-80 ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRgDr-m2XXM&feature=related

susan said...

deepeekay- that is awesome. I wonder why he had so many versions of Point Blank?

Anonymous said...

I only saw Bruce once, but it was a rather historic occasion -- the opening of the 2002 tour for The Rising at the now-Izod Center in the Meadowlands.

AWE ... SOME.

Related Posts with Thumbnails