Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Some childhood memories, I am getting older or why can't they make TV like this anymore?

I've been nursing the same cold now for 3 weeks. Temperature fluxing from 100-101 daily, won't go down past 100.  Cough bad- phlem balls, yeech.... I have not left the house in over a fortnight, which explains why I am in such a bad mood.


This morning my mom took me to the doctors office- while we were waiting in the waiting room, she was telling me she has been glued to PBS' new Ken Burns series on National Parks. She was asking me if I remeber the summer I was 12 and my sister was 10 and we drove out west to "show the kids America". Gas was 35 cents a gallon she told me. I didn't realize that.

I remember the car we drove in a 76 Pontiac  Bonneville, brown, with a tan padded roof. My sister and I sat in the back - my parent's nightmare , as we subjected them to 2,000 miles of "Are we there yet?", 'MOOOOMMMM!" , and the ever famous "I GOTTA GO NOWWW". Needless to say, it wasn't a very good trip for all involved, and we turned around and came home quicker than dad wanted.




One of the things my mother wanted to see was the Old Faithful geyser. She was a city kid- so this really appealed to her. We stopped at a hotel overlooking the park, signed in and went to KFC for dinner. The next morning, my mother woke us up at 4:30 am. My father wanted to sleep, mom said the geyser went off at 6 am. "You're getting us up at 4:30 am to see a geyser piss?" said my dad.

Exit stage left. Two little girls laughing so hard at their father they both had accidents and had to get new shorts on.

Now, thirty some years later, my mother is watching TV with my dad- seeing Old Faithful on TV- and laughs. Dad asked her what she is laughing about.

"Do you remember the time you said you didn't want to get up at 4;30 am and see a geyser piss?"

No. No recollection. As he ages, more and more memories are being wiped from his gray cells- like the brain is saying "You are in your 80s you don't need to recall this anymore".

I've been thinking of my childhood. One of my most favorite memories was watching the Sunday Night Movie- Dad in his chair,  Mom on the couch, each daughter under one arm. And children silent for once-glued to the TV because we loved this show.  I loved this, I felt so safe and secure snuggled with my mom.


Here is the opening. Henry Mancini in all his glory.  For the life of me, I cannot recall the show "Hec Ramsey'.  I can recall the other ones clear like I saw them in last night, but not this show I wonder if anyone remembers it.

And one more view- I didn't realize that Jack Klugman as Quincy was also in the line up. Check out the music. It's slightly higher in octave, and a bit livelier.



Ah, take that 70s show! This was great 70s TV!!

4 comments:

Anthony said...

I used to love "Columbo." TV now is mostly junk. There are fewere sitcoms on than ever and there are way too many unscripted shows (sometimes referred to as "reality television") and not enough writing going on.

I wrote a short essay on a great TV show that will appear on the blog around noon today.

Otherwise, I just finished reading an Inquirer article about seasonal depression. There is a natural disposition for some people to get depressed when the weather changes. I think I got it, and maybe there's something to your latest bout.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/magazine/62303347.html

Ana said...

Columbo and other 70ies series are now at one channel here.
I forget to see them
Hi Susan!
Still love you!
Ana

sbwrites said...

Sorry to hear you've been so ill. Hope you feel better soon.

I loved your piece on TV and the photograph of the car. My husband and I are hooked on Ken Burns' The National Parks! I was sick today and seeing Yosemite made me feel better!

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan,

I hope you are feeling better soon. I am just getting over a cold myself--have felt pretty tired the past week and coughed so hard one day that my ribs hurt for the next 2-3 days. :(

Give Holly some scritches for me. :)

Tailwags,
Littlewolf

Related Posts with Thumbnails