Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Milestones And My Dad

Something amazing happened over the last few days. When I first set up the blog, back in October 2007 I didn't know about stat counters and what so when I finally put one in  four months later, I lost a lot of hits. Math was my worst subject in school, I still have nightmares about Alegebra!; but I realized allowing for this four month stat- I hit a magical number last week.   To that I am grateful and humble.

I've spent some time over the last two weeks or so re doing the blog roll- it's gotten bigger. I took off several blogs who's bloggers stopped blogging. And added a few blogs that I thought were wonderful.  I also added a one or two to the funny blogs list.  What amazes me is how many new people are coming into the world of blogging and how talented they are. So many of them are in their late teens and twenties and so full of hope with the diagnosis. How things have changed in the twenty or so years since I was told by my p-doc that I was "Manic- depressive"  then several months later "Bipolar type 1" and I would never be able to live a normal life and my parents should think of placing me in a state hospital or nursing home. We have a long way to go to banish stigma, but look how far we've come in twenty some years!

Lastly, blogging will be spotty for the next few days, and there is a very good possibility it may stop for a week or so. I also apologize if I won't be visiting any blogs.  A very beloved family member was rushed again to the hospital last night and the prognosis does not look good. I am praying he has, like my cat, nine lives, and still has one or two left in him. But alas, I fear, this may not be too much longer.  Get well dad. You have to see the Yanks win one more World Series before you get to Heaven.

(I like this photo. It really does look like me when I was a little girl, and my dad... doing the thing he loved the most in life... baseball and being a dad and a husband).

14 comments:

Andrew said...

I'll be missing your posts.

All the best for your Dad.

Syd said...

I hope that your dad will be okay. My thoughts are with you both. Take care of yourself. I'm glad that you are here sharing your E, S, and H.

Wendy said...

I just discovered your blog a little while ago and really "enjoy" it, not the best choice of words I know. I have BP II so identify with much of what you post. I'm so sorry to hear about your father. I'm very close to mine and he's also getting up there in age. He used to take me to see Dodger games all the time when I was young so your pic. of the father and little girl brought back memories I forgot. I'm getting sad thinking about that time so long ago. Please take care of yourself because we who have mood disorders don't handle grief, stress, etc..like those who don't. I know you know this, but just a little reminder. Sending blessings for you, your father and family.

susan said...

Thank you Andrew and Syd. I am grateful for your fellowship.

Wendy, my dad grew up watching the Dodgers. The Brooklyn ones! ;-) Thank you. I like your avatar too. It looks like my first beloved cat baby.

susan said...

Oh Wendy, I like your site. I still have a Grimroire and tarot decks.... more later.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts also will be with you and your Dad. Please take care.

Sonya's World said...

I like your dad. He likes baseball and being a family man, just like me. I hope whatever happens, it happens peacefully and with acceptance and gratitude.
I'll miss your writing for the next week. Take the time off, looking forward to connecting back with you soon.

Anonymous said...

Sending caring, hopeful thoughts to you and your dad.

Be gentle with yourself.

Compassionate tailwags,
Littlewolf

David A Stein said...

My prayers are out for your dad, hopefully everything goes well. And congrats on hitting your magical number!

Hang in there.

Dave.

Stanley said...

I hope everything goes well with your dad. You're a good daughter for taking care of him so well.

Unknown said...

I know this has got to be a very difficult and scary time and you will be in my thoughts. Keep telling yourself that you are strong enough to survive this because you are.

Re: blog post: We haven't come far enough but society has made leaps and bounds in it's attitude and research for mental illness. I'm glad I was born in a time where I can speak out about my illness- if it was 20 years ago they would have had to cage me for not shutting up!

Thanks for the comment on my blog!

All the best!:)

Riayn said...

I really hope your Dad pulls through and makes a full recovery.

susan said...

@Riayn, my dad came home last night. They don't keep people in hospitals too much longer anymore. He really should have stayed longer... He's frail, and it will take him a while to get better. But he is home, that is the important thing. I will go over later with a chicken for supper..... so my mom doesn't have to cook. Dad and I could eat chicken every day for supper....

Thank you all for caring and well wishes. I will show him this blog entry when he feels a little better....

site said...

Very worthwhile data, lots of thanks for this post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails