Friday, January 8, 2010

There Will Come Soft Rains


I adore "Life After People" on the History Channel. If anyone reading this has not seen it, the new season has just started. Check your local listings for day and times. If you haven't read the book- highly recommended. Perfect thing to read on a snowy, snowy day like today.

And for some reason, on this snowy, snowy day, I thought of this poem I read eons ago in Junior High. For some reason I felt like sharing it. I don't know why, but it echoes the way I feel today. Like everyone has indeed left, and it's just me, the last survivor of the human race, drinking hot chocolate, watching the snow fall, and when I die, so does humanity.



There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
And swallows circling with their shimmering sound;


And frogs in the pool singing at night,
And wild plum trees in tremulous white;

Robins will wear their feathery fire,
Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;

And not one will know of the war, not one
Will care at last when it is done.

Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree,
If mankind perished utterly;

And Spring herself when she woke at dawn
Would scarcely know that we were gone.

(Sara Teasdale, 1920)




(pictures from History Channel's Life After People)

5 comments:

Bill said...

Nice post, nice poem. In these days of hyped egos and greed, it's nice to re-emphasize just how minor we really are. The simplicity is comforting.pentelw

Sallyo said...

Looks interesting. I also like the poem; thanks for sharing.
FWIW, sweetjuniper.com shows sites in Detroit that are being taken over by nature.
Puts life in an different light, doesn't it?

susan said...

Thank you Bill. I like your blog too, btw. We are both fans of Therese. I have a review of her book coming soon. I just need to finish it! ;-)

Sally, it sure does. They had a segment on Detroit on their first season.... it was eerie... and beautiful at the same time.....Happy New Year to you and David!

Ana said...

Hi Susan!!!
I have an award for you and Holly!
Come to get it!
I want you to have this one.
Love,
Ana

howard said...

i love Life After People, Susan -- i find it incredibly fascinating. i love the poem, too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails