Thursday, June 4, 2009

Dazed, Confused, and Gobsmacked


Several weeks ago, I received an email from a Mr. Tom D'Ambrosio, with the play "Next To Normal". Since I live 12 miles away from the Outerbridge Crossing, might I be interested in attending a matinee?


I did yesterday with a friend. And I have spent most of the entire day working on a review for this treasure on Broadway. It is nominated for 11 Tonys. I hope it gets them all. It was the best play on Broadway I have ever seen, and I have seen over 30 of them in my life, many with original cast members and i never, ever thought anything I have seen on Broadway would top some of them, but this play did. I had no expectations for this play, I purposely read no reviews.


And like i said it was the best play I have ever seen on or off Broadway.


But it has hit me so close to home, and left me exposed like a raw, wet wound that is not healing. A family, two generations torn assunder by mental illness. Pills, drug changes, problems with the pills, side effects and ECT.

Not a play for the faint hearted.

I left the theatre shaking, and during the play I blubbered like a baby. And now, as I have been trying to write, I am still overwhelmed by it. I cannot get it out of my head.

I will have my review up shortly, when I can think better. Meanwhile, I will keep my fingers crossed this play gets all the Tony's it can, and any readers nearby can see this.


Photo taken by P. Dearstyne on June 3, 2009 in front of the Booth Theatre, NYC.

2 comments:

Ana said...

Susan,
I'm waiting for the review.
Hope you are fine.
Take care.
Love,
Ana

Sandy Naiman said...

Hi Susan,

I know how you feel. And I'm so sorry we missed each other on Wednesday. We will meet. I promise.

Good luck with your writing. It took me a full day and a half to write mine and it was cathartic beyond words.

I'm beat but it was worth it. It will be for you, too!

Good luck and keep at it.

Hugs,
sln

Related Posts with Thumbnails