Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Thank you

Remembering those who fought for their countries, those who aren't here and those who are.

My father is a veteran of WW II and I am so proud of him. He had just turned 18 when President Roosevelt called him to service for his country and he was sent from Brooklyn to Fort Bragg, and then overseas to Germany as a medic to help Germany recover/clean up from the war.

He won't talk about it and he still has nightmares about what he saw. They called it shell shock back then, today it's called PTSD.  Those who know me know my dad is my my hero and who taught me what men should be like, just like all fathers do with their daughters.

My mother had an Uncle she never met who was killed at the Second Battle of the Marne during World War I.

I know I have several readers who have husbands who have served recently and a friend who currently has a son over there. One of my dearest friends in the world recently completed 20 years with the Guards.

Several years ago I was in London on the 11th of November, in front of the Centotaph and saw the Queen put a wreath on it. I cried. So did the people I was with. We later went to Westminster Abbey and laid a cross in memory of my friends grandfather who died in WW I as well.

I know people look at tomorrow as just another day to shop the sales before Christmas, but please, take a moment and thank those who served to make our lives better and give us freedom. They shan't be forgotten. Do a good deed for a Veteran. Tell them thank you.

Here's a clip from one of my favorite TV shows of all time, Blackadder, that commemorates WW I. Lest we forget. And yes, that is House in it.

6 comments:

Mike Golch said...

My Dad served in the Second World War as well.My Dad as a member of the USAAF(United States Army Air Force) ended up as part of the occupation forces in Japan at the end of the war.I served in the USAF during the viet Nam conflict.

Syd said...

I wish that there would be no more wars. I am grateful to those who have served. I hope that in the future people won't have to go through the things your father did.

tracy said...

Thank you for a lovely, heartfelt post.

And for including one of my very favorites, "Black Adder". i remember all of the previous series ending in "funny" death, except for this one. The final scene of the field of poppies is forever eched on my mind.

On Veteran's Day, i found myself wondering where were the Veteran's who usually hand out the Poppies of Rememberance....?

i hate war, but love and respect our Veterans.

Anonymous said...

2 Minutes of silence says so much and means so much to so many so I am all for it, but let us never stay silent about the horrors of war.

Your constable.

Kass said...

Thinking of you, Susan. - Kass

mandy said...

My grand father was a veteran and I saluted him for the gratitude of serving the government and the people. .I hope it won't happen again So scary

Related Posts with Thumbnails